- Main features
- Technical specs
- Designed for military use
- Generous cargo snow cover secured with elastic cord
- Webbing carry handles on the sides and ends
- Reinforced ski pole pushing point at the rear
- Two-part steel pulling poles
- Includes one spare steel pulling pole
- Includes belt and harness
- 5 year material and workmanship warranty (read more)
The Border ahkio is made for military use, originally designed with the Finnish Border Guard. A reinforced and more feature packed evolution of the standard Paljakka. Capable of transporting far heavier loads than possible in a backpack, ahkios are a valuable tool for extended operations in the arctic winter.
The pull poles are crossed for good mobility and steerability and attach to the belt using a rope lock. A complete spare steel pulling rod is included, its two parts double up as the stiffeners for the edge of the snow cargo cover.
The Border ahkio is a "military upgrade" over the standard Paljakka model, featuring a number of additional features and an overall stronger build:
- Slightly thicker fiberglass body for added strength.
- White cargo cover and belt instead of blue.
- Steel pulling rods instead of aluminium.
- A complete spare steel pulling pole.
- Six steel D-rings on the inside for attaching heavy loads, AT mines, machine guns, ammunition etc.
- The carry handles are made of webbing instead of rope.
- There are carry handles on the sides, allowing four people to carry a heavy load comfortably.
- The end of the body features a reinforced point allowing the next skier to push the ahkio forward in difficult terrain.
- The Border ahkio is 2,5 kg heavier than the Paljakka, but this is but a fraction of the weight of the loads this thing is designed to carry.